Girls Power Tech Around the World
"I saw great opportunities in the Internet of Everything. Now I have an idea of the work I want to do in the future," said 16-year old student Kristina Krachmarova during a Girls Power Tech event at the Cisco office in Sofia, Bulgaria.
In Nairobi, Kenya, high-school student Ruth Ndinda said, "We learnt a lot, especially about telepresence. I didn't know that one could connect and communicate with so many people from different parts of the world at the same time. I am amazed at what technology can do."
Kristina and Ruth were among the 3,300 young female students around the world who participated in events at 91 locations in 56 countries. Thrilled to take part in a global effort to inspire girls and women to pursue studies and careers in technology, 1,462 of our employees signed up to volunteer.
"My parents didn't want me to have a career in IT," said a student in Delhi, India. "But when I tell them about the women who addressed us, I'm sure they will change their mind."
"Many girls don't have the self-confidence they need," said a student in New York City. "It's important to know and believe in yourself that you can achieve great things."
To ignite these moments of discovery, our employee volunteers talked to the girls about technical careers, and provided one-on-one mentoring. Our volunteers helped the girls, ages 13-18, see what technology makes possible and see themselves in technical roles in the future.
"Now I know what I can do after studying IT," said a student in Sri Lanka.
At the Cisco office in Toronto, Canada, students experienced the power of Cisco technology to connect the world. During a telepresence session, they learned a few sentences in the Inuktitut language from girls in a Northern Arctic region of Canada.
For our employee volunteers around the world, this was an exciting opportunity to empower and encourage the next generation of innovators, the dreamers and doers who will invent the future.
"This day really changed how I look at the IT world," said a student in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, "I'm really happy and one day I hope to work at Cisco."
Did you know? You can share this story using the social media icons on the upper left. Use the hashtag #WeAreCisco. You can also rate or comment on the story below.
Articles and Videos
Read more articles about the Girls Power Tech events around the world:
- “Girls Power Tech—Inspiring the Next Generation” (San Jose)
- “Female tech pros inspire next generation of women in IT: Northern Sydney Institute hosts Cisco's Women Rock IT event”
- “Cisco UK Girl Power Tech Event 2015 at WWF Cisco Living Planet Centre”
- “Cisco supports UN's Girl's in ICT day to inspire youth creation of digital jobs” (Nairobi, Kenya)
- Chicago Girls Power Tech
- In Spanish: “Cisco celebró Girls in ICT Day en todas las oficinas de la Región” (Latin America)
Learn more about Girls Power Tech:
- Visit the Girls Power Tech page
- View the story Igniting the Imaginations of the Next Generation
- Watch the video Celebrating Girls in Tech
- Check out the IoT World Forum Young Women's Innovation Grand Challenge
- Visit the Girls Power Tech Jive Community